- Chaparral High School
Posted by Trisha Shea on 4/8/2019
This week the freshmen will begin their unit on Empathy in literature and society.
Sophomores will begin their unit on Arguement Synthesis.
Monday: All classes will participate in a study that involves generating conversational questions.
Please complete the following activity with a family member and return by the end of the week if you were absent on this day!
Research says that the overuse of technology, particularly the cell phone, has created major conveniences for Americans. However, it is also crippling them socially, leading to a loss of communication skills and quality relationships. Researchers report that people feel more isolated today than they did 10 years ago. Their studies point to a lack of meaningful personal conversation.
With this information in mind, think about 3 questions you WISH someone would ask you. They cannot be simple short answer or "Yes or No" questions. In other words, what 3 questions would likely generate a good conversation about you and what you are interested in? Using the small lined paper, write the 3 questions.
- What needs to change in high school education and what are your ideas for creating that change?
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be and why?
- What top 10 things are you most grateful for and why?
- How are you doing? Explain why.
- Partner up
- Trade questions so you can interview each other.
- Take out a white lined piece of paper and copy down your partner's questions. Space each question with about 7 lines. Write your name and your partner's name at the top of the page.
- Take turns asking questions and listen to the other person's responses FULLY !!!! Ask follow up questions as needed based on what you want to understand better.
- When you have both finished discussing 3 questions. Write down everything you remember about what your partner said to you for each question. Then copy and answer the next 3 questions:
- How well did you listen to your partner? 1 2 3 4 5
- How well did my partner listen to me? 1 2 3 4 5
- Did this activity work and why?