Return to Headlines

Which type of transfer to submit

There are two types of transfers: 


1. Transfers between TVUSD schools, which are called "INTRAdistrict"

These are for students who live within TVUSD and want to attend a school that is not their zoned school.

They are valid for all grades at the same school and do NOT need to be renewed yearly. 

However, once students move on to middle or high school, they are automatically enrolled at their zoned school based on their address.  


2. Transfers between districts, which are called "INTERdistrict"

These are for students who live in TVUSD and wish to attend a different district , OR who live in a different district and wish to attend TVUSD.

Currently, these must be renewed every year for grades Kindergarten through 10th, for all districts, except:

  • Murrieta Valley Unified School District
  • All school districts within San Diego County

As of the 22-23 school year, students from these districts will be approved for an entire grade span (elementary, middle or high) and will only need to submit renewal requests for middle school (6th grade) and high school (9th grade).

All other districts must continue to submit yearly renewal requests up until, and including, 10th grade.

We begin accepting Interdistrict Transfer requests in mid-January before the start of the new school year.


*Click HERE to see a visual diagram showing the difference between the two types of transfers.