DISASTER / EMERGENCY PROCEDURES
In the event of a major earthquake or other disaster, we are prepared to care for your child(ren). The staff is available and required to stay with the students as long as necessary. We will be in contact with all local emergency services.
To help you prepare in the case of such an emergency, here is some important information you need to know:
School Actions / Responsibilities:
- Procedures are in place for securing (locking) the school based on the type of emergency. We practice these procedures periodically throughout the year.
- Our phone lines need to be open to receive emergency information. Please do not call the school.
- Students and staff have designated areas where they meet and stay throughout all emergencies. Everyone on campus will be accounted for and then all staff members will begin carrying out various emergency response responsibilities.
- Depending on the nature of the emergency, local emergency services will be contacted.
- All students will remain together and will be supervised by a team of staff members. First Aid, snacks, restroom facilities, and other emergency supplies will be available to students.
- Our goal is to keep all students safe and calm AND most importantly, to reunite them with their families as quickly as possible.
Parent Actions / Responsibilities:
- Remain calm. Trust that we have your children’s safety as our utmost priority and follow the procedures set forth to reunite you with your child(ren). It is our goal to reunite you with your child as soon as it is safe and as quickly as possible.
- Do not attempt to enter the school grounds unless requested and accompanied by a designated staff member. The security and safety of all students is reliant upon our ability to effectively manage the needs of everyone present while also attending to the emergency.
- We encourage you to write a letter to your child prior to an emergency. This letter can be given to your child during the emergency to comfort him or her until you arrive.
To reunite with your child, you will need to:
- Gather your personal identification and walk or drive to Paloma. If you drive, park your car along Amarita Way. The front loop and Via Rami will need to be open for emergency vehicles.
- Form a single-file line outside the gate off the front loop. This is the only check-in area.
- When you reach the front of the line, present your personal identification and fill out a release form for your child. As you are doing so, a runner will be sent to retrieve your child from the Student Supervision Area. Your child will meet you at the Check-Out Area.
- Proceed to the Check-Out Area, meet your child(ren), and present your identification again to leave this area.
Please be assured that our staff is highly trained. We want nothing more than for all students to be safe, secure, and calm throughout any emergency and for you to be reunited as efficiently as possible.
DROP OFF & PICK UP SAFETY REMINDERS
GATES OPEN AT 8:40 AM
Prior to 8:40 am, there is NO supervision for students. Please do not drop off your students prior to 8:40 am.
ENTER THROUGH THE GATES
Please enter through the side gates not the office. Students are not allowed in their classrooms prior to the start of the school day, without prior permission. Teachers are preparing for the day and need this time to make sure everything is ready for students.
Buses will drop off and pick up from the Amarita Loop every day. Please yield to any buses. The top portion of the loop is reserved for bus loading and unloading.
There is no parking allowed in either loop at any time. If you are waiting in your car for your child, and you are in line in the loop, that’s ok. If you park your car, turn it off, and walk away, that’s not ok.
NO PARKING IN RED ZONES
There are red zones in the Parking Lots and loops. These are for emergency vehicles only. There is no parking in any red zone at any time.
There is NO drop off or pick up in the parking lots. Students cannot get out of the car and walk across the crosswalk unattended. They cannot walk alone into the parking lot to meet you. If you want to drop off or pick up, use the loop.
PICKING UP IN THE LOOP
There are only two lanes of traffic through the loop. The lane next to the curb is for drop off or pick up ONLY. The outside lane is a pass-through lane ONLY. Students MAY NOT load / unload from the outside lane. You may not park in the third lane.
DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CAR UNATTENDED IN THE LOOP! NO PARKING AT ANY TIME!
Please keep moving forward as cars in front of you leave. Tell your kids to look out for you and begin walking toward the front of the loop to get into the car.
Please stop completely so that your child can get in, we will help any children who need assistance getting into the car.
As soon as your child is in the car, please continue to move forward so that you can exit the parking lot safely.
USE THE CROSSWALK AT ALL TIMES!
AFTER SCHOOL, BE PATIENT & WAIT OUTSIDE
Classes are in session until 3:20. Please wait outside, in front of the school, until students are dismissed at 3:20.
SET A GOOD EXAMPLE
Your children look up to you and follow your lead. Please set a good example for your child by adhering to all PES guidelines and rules at all times.
Your support is greatly appreciated.