Degrees and Certifications:
B.A. and M.A.
2nd Grade Newsletter
Welcome to 2nd Grade. We look forward getting to know your child as we begin a new school year. Here is what is happening in our 2nd grade classrooms:
Math: Addition and Subtraction Strategies & Place Value.
- Using doubles, doubles plus one; counting on; making 10; numbers can be added in any order; writing a corresponding number sentences.
- Fact families; separating part of a whole; counting back; making 10 to subtract; using the answer to one problem to find the answer to another problem; writing a corresponding sentence.
- Repeated addition; arrays; a diagram can be used to solve a problem.
- Write personal narratives, opinions , and informational text in which they recount a well-elaborated event or short sequence of events, include details to describe actions, thoughts, and feeling, use transition words to signal event order, and provide closure.
- Sentence grammar with proper use of capitalization/punctuation, commands and exclamations.
- Create readable documents with legible print.
- Demonstrate command of the conventions of Standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
- With guidance and support from adults and peers, focus on topic and strengthen writing by revising and editing.
Reading: Focus on “Friends and Family” and “Animal Discoveries”
- Describe the structure of a story, including how the beginning introduces the story and the ending concludes the action.
- Ask and answer questions (who, what, where, when, why, and how) to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
- Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension.
- Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words both in isolation and in text.
- Distinguish long and short vowels when reading one-syllable words.
- Comprehension strategies ~ making predictions and rereading.
- Use information from illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting, or plot.
Journal Writing in a home notebook will also benefit your child with essential writing skills. 2nd grade students should be writing 5, or more, complete sentences. As your child writes at home, they should be using a child-friendly dictionary to assist them with their spelling. Have your child write on a variety of topics, such as:
“My favorite book is_____ because…”
“An activity I love to do with my family is…”
“If I was an astronaut, I would…”
“My idea of a perfect day would be…” The ideas are endless. Encourage your child to share their writing in class.
Students will learn about Mapping in our Social Studies Unit.
Your child may bring in their own pair of ear buds or headphones for use in the computer lab. We will keep them in a zip-lock bag with their name on it and take them with us each week to the computer lab.
Here are a few web-sites that you may find helpful for your child to continue with their reading and math:
Epic! - Unlimited Books for Kids by Epic! Creations Inc https://appsto.re/us/2QM3Q.i - is a recommended APP for an Ipad: A library of many quality books.
Here is a tip regarding your child’s homework. Have your child read and review their directions 3 times before they come to you for help.
Parents: Please check your child’s daily math homework, so you can see your child is following along with the daily lesson.
Your child will thank you for this!