Mask Requirements and Guidance
Please click on the following resource links for mask guidance.
Frequently Asked Questions February 25, 2022
1. How does the CDC announcement Friday about reducing mask requirements impact us? California
schools must follow CDPH guidelines. Although CDC came out with an announcement loosening mask
requirements across the nation, CDPH has not yet done so. We anticipate hearing from CDPH very
soon, as they have typically follow CDC within days.
2. Why are students still required to wear masks while indoors at school?
The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) continues to require that all students in
California schools must wear masks while indoors, subject to very limited exceptions in which case
a face shield with drape is required.
2. Do staff have to wear masks?
Per CDPH guidelines, staff must wear masks at school while in the presence of students. If students
are not present, masks are optional for vaccinated staff members. Unvaccinated staff must wear
masks under OSHA regulations, with limited exceptions.
3. Does the District or Governing Board have the authority to remove the mask requirement or make
No. The CDPH supersedes all district or board authority on this matter, and unless and until the
CDPH and OSHA requirements are withdrawn or overruled by a court, the mask requirements remain in
4. Why are other some districts taking action to remove the requirement or make it optional?
We cannot speculate on the reason(s) a small number of other districts have changed their
enforcement of the mandatory CDPH rule. A time may come when local districts could be empowered to
make mask decisions based on local health data but until then the requirements are clear and not
5. When might mask requirements change?
The Governor has expressed that he will present an update to mask requirements for schools by
February 28th. We anxiously await this information and will share it our stakeholders immediately.