Mu Alpha Theta Honors Cords for Graduation
Active Mu Alpha Theta Members can earn honors cords for graduation through the following set of requirements.
- Mu Alpha Theta Member for 3 years.
- Earn at least 130 points in each of the 3 years of membership.
- Give a math lecture once in the three years of membership.
- Participate in at least two mathematics competitions in each year of membership.
- Must compete in either the UCSD Honors Mathematics Contest or the CalTech Harvey Mudd Math contest once.
Mu Alpha Theta
Mu Alpha Theta, the National High School and Two-Year College Mathematics Honor Society, was formed in 1957 at the University of Oklahoma. We are dedicated to inspiring a keen interest in mathematics, developing strong scholarship in the subject, and promoting the enjoyment of mathematics in high school and two-year college students. As of October 2018, more than 100,000 students are Mu Alpha Theta members at more than 2,550 schools in the United States and in 20 foreign countries.
Mu Alpha Theta:
- Provides a method for schools to recognize and encourage students who enjoy and excel in mathematics.
- Organizes a national convention for students and teachers to participate in math-related events and interact with others from across the country.
- Rewards outstanding extracurricular achievement by offering special awards, scholarships, and grants to students and their faculty advisers.
- Provides mathematics competitions to participating members at their own school through the Log1 Contest, Rocket City Math League, and the Mathematical Minutes Video Contest.