Welcome to the National Honor Society page!
"The National Honor Society (NHS) is the nation’s premier organization established to recognize outstanding high school students. More than just an honor roll, NHS serves to recognize those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, service, leadership, and character. These characteristics have been associated with membership in the organization since its beginning in 1921.
Today, it is estimated that more than one million students participate in NHS activities. NHS chapters are found in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, many U.S. territories, and Canada. Chapter membership not only recognizes students for their accomplishments, but challenges them to develop further through active involvement in school activities and community service." -from NHS.us
How to Become a Member
To become a member, students must possess the four pillars of NHS: leadership, scholarship, character, and service.
At Great Oak, we define the criteria for membership as follows:
- 3.6 cumulative GPA or above
- dedication to studies and academic pursuits
- 2 or more significant leadership positions that have been elected or appointed
- must have been maintained for 6 months or more
- 65+ significant and varied community service
- must show a dedication and passion for true service, not just volunteering
- service hours should not come from only one avenue (for example, only band performances)
- no academic integrity violations
- faculty council observations and feedback
- students will need to provide 4 references: one reference from their most significant leadership position, one reference from their most significant service endeavor, and two character references.
In the spring, sophomores and juniors with a 3.6 cumulative GPA or above are invited to apply. They will attend and informational meeting and then fill out an application. After submitting their application, references will be contacted in the fall and then our five teacher Faculty Council will meet to read and vote on the applications. In the early fall, acceptance and denial letters will be sent out and students will be inducted.
NHS Application 2019-2020
Sophomores and Juniors with a 3.6 GPA and above are now invited to apply to be considered for acceptance into NHS's 2019-2010 chapter. Here is a link to the application. The typed and printed application is due to Mrs. Newman's box in the office or to her directly in room 701 by Wednesday, June 5th at 3:00 p.m. No late applications will be accepted for any reason. Completion of the application does not guarantee acceptance.
More information about the club and application process will be presented at lunch on Tuesday, April 23rd in the PAC.
Adviser Contact Information
For more information regarding NHS or the application process, please contact the club's adviser--Molly Newman--at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Vice Presidents--Madison Gonzales, Justin Rhee
Secretaries--Breana Navarro, Sheen-Yi Chen
Treasurers--Savannah Schaffer, Scott Kim
Parliamentarian--Elizabeth "Bitsy" Rudisill