Phone: (951) 294-6355 TTES (951) 302-6610 ARES
Degrees and Certifications:
CLAD Certificate GATE Certificate Masters Degree in Curriculum, Assessment, and Instruction
Mrs. Jennifer Holt
Welcome to Literacy!
Hello! My name is Jennifer Holt and I am the Literacy Specialist at Tony Tobin and Abby Reinke Elementary School. I have been a teacher for over 20 years, and have taught 1st, 3rd, 4th, as well as being a Literacy Specialist.
My goal is to teach reading strategies throughout the year to help students become more successful and engaged while reading.
My hope is that this page will provide families with more information on our Literacy Program and resources for my students to use. Please do not hesitate to contact me!
Click here to access Strategies for Active Reading
- Notice when meaning breaks down and/or mind wanders
- Employ "fix up strategies"
Fix up Strategies:
- Make a connection between the text and:
- your life
- your knowledge of the world
- another text
- Make a prediction
- Stop and think about what you have already read
- Notice patterns in text structure
- Adjust reading rate: slow down or speed up
- Use Schema or Background Knowledge